Monday, May 9, 2011

Saturday's Wedding & Some Plant Facts





*********************

I absolutely loved working with the fragrant white peonies and lush vintage roses. These flowers remind me very much of my garden growing up in New York. The peonies seemed to pop open like popcorn and my sister and I would diligently sit and pick the ants off of the buds.

"Ants are attracted to the sweet resin exuded on the flower buds, but it's a long-standing, popular, even benevolent myth that they "tickle the buds" or "lick the sugar" to help the buds open. They would open regardless of the ants' presence (these are the same ants that would benevolently tickle the food at the average picnic)." (Garden Opus)

White tulips are always a favorite, as is the peppery white stock. Some of the greenery included Queen Anne's Lace which I was certain was related to dill because of it's dill-like scent . It turns out I was right; they are in fact in neighboring families. I don't recommend eating it (which I did), because that's where the similarities end.

Upon further research, I found that the variety I had was actually Ammi visnaga or, false queen anne's lace (bisnaga) because mine flowered green rather than the typical white and yellow I'd see growing along the sides of the roads in Ohio.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...